We Got the GOLD!
Catholic Eldercare has recently been listed on the Minnesota Antibiotic Stewardship Honor Roll. All honorees are listed on the Minnesota One Health Antibiotic Stewardship website, on a dedicated Antibiotic Stewardship Honor Roll page.
There are three levels of recognition -bronze, silver and gold. Items required for the Gold level of recognition include an antibiotic policy, a letter of commitment from the CEO, resident/family education, actions to improve antibiotic use and collaboration with others outside the facility.
We are proud of our facilities’ commitment to using antibiotics appropriately and all the efforts of our staff to understand the ways we can make the best use of antibiotics while protecting our clients from adverse medication effects.
Antibiotics can save lives but overuse and misuse of antibiotics can increase antibiotic resistance. Antibiotic resistance can make it extremely difficult to treat a resistant infection. Antibiotic side effects can cause falls, diarrhea, rashes and kidney damage.
Did you know that Catholic Eldercare has?
- An Antibiotic Stewardship Committee that meets monthly
- Staff education on Antibiotic Stewardship at hire and annually
- Signage and promotional materials at our entrances promoting infection control and antibiotic stewardship
- A weekly review of resident infections at our Interdisciplinary team meetings
- A review of antibiotic prescriptions at 48 hours to be sure appropriate follow up is done
The Minnesota Antibiotic Stewardship Long-term Care Honor Roll is supported by the Minnesota Department of Health, Leading Age Minnesota, Care Providers of Minnesota, Stratis Health, Minnesota Hospital Association, Association for Professionals in Infection Control (APIC), and promoted on behalf of the Collaborative Healthcare-Associated Infection Network (CHAIN).